Missing parts, assembly issues

Assembling mechanics with Switch and retainer parts. That's one of the most critical step in making BADDY. Take your time, and share your thoughts, questions, concerns, issues.

Moderator: BADDY Core

Nihilo

Missing parts, assembly issues

Post by Nihilo » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:59 pm

Hello There

I got stock in here while assembling the fireroom :roll: .
I noticed that 2 parts are missing see the following pictures:

Is there anything that I can do to replace them?
If you can provide the step files would be great so I can print them out.

Now for the assembly.
One thing that is not clear is the last picture, it wasn't mentioned in the fireroom video and coincidentally is one the pieces that is missing. But this is just a minor problem.

Another major issue is the neck, using the first method I wasn't able to insert it as the vertical part (the one holding the lower servo) was too close to the 2 back vertical stands. This due to the holes tolerance, way too much in my opinion.

Last but not least, the 4 holes of the the motors board ( wood one) were too tight, no way I could fit them. I had to use a file to fix it. I guess it was intended to have no tolerance because of the motors but it should be at least half to 1 mm larger so that I don't need to do extra work.

Thank you,
Cheers

baddyteam
Site Admin

Re: Missing parts, assembly issues

Post by baddyteam » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:43 am

Hi Nihilo!

great you got your fire room almost ready.

No worry with those parts. the one at the bottom doesn't exist anymore - it used to be there just in case once need to accommodate in case of errors/tolerance to make sure the shuttlecock is going in the straight direction between the two wheels.

As for the smallest one, this is not needed unless you expect to ship your BADDY (post, shipment partner in a parcel) to put additional rigidity - if you need it, I can send it over to you, but that's not blocking for your mounting procedure, you can go ahead.

OK the method n°2 seems to be the most convenient for everyone.

I am concerned with the motors' holes. Normally it shall go easy. can you please send a photo of your BADDY please? There may be something wrong going on.

Cheers,

Nihilo

Post by Nihilo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:45 pm

Thank you for the support.
Here you go, you wont see much.
I used a file to enlarge the 4 holes about half mm in total each. I did the job only on the 2 long side of the hole.

Cheers,
- Nihi
Last edited by Nihilo on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nihilo

Post by Nihilo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:06 pm

I have some problem understanding how the fire room should be aligned to the base board as the piece behind is not necessary. Have a look:

Which side should be leveled with the base board A or B?
I guess B since the small piece was supposed to fit in there ? but then A remains floating and there isn't enough support to hold the entire fire room as the weight goes downward through the 2 holes.
Hope my description makes sense.

Second thing I am not sure about is the nose. In the video motor and electronics it's said "...Take the screw, this o-ring is not used anymore you wont find it in your kit.."

For o-ring do you mean the round black cylinder? The only piece that resembles it in my kit, is the ring that goes into one of the 3 feet showed in the fire room video. If not, how am I supposed to tight the nose to the motor board? just with a screw?

Thank you again for your support.
cheers,
- Nihi

baddyteam
Site Admin

Post by baddyteam » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi Nihi,

Thanks for these info. Answering your points in chronological order:

- Hole size: OK you meant the rectangular holes. Welcome to the world of laser cutting. Some of the raw material suppliers do have different interpretation of 6mm width... Tolerances with PMMA can be quite surprising and lead to issues in assembling - especially for us. That's something we are working on and that will definitely be improved with the time being (work with suppliers, review of our quotes/dimensions)

- Assembling fire room with the frame. Watch out, there is a wire (from ESC I guess?) between part A of your room and the frame :) remove the wire, and part A will naturally get closer to the frame.

- Black o-ring to attache fireroom's nose with the motor board: yep, you don't need this anymore, so just take the screw, pass it through the nose and the motor board, and take a nilstop nut in the other side. Don't screw it too tightly to prevent damaging/breaking the nose.

A part from that, seems good. Check that you have both motors at their right place (see "RIGHT" and "LEFT" on motors ESC) which shall indicate which one goes right, and which one goes left (BADDY referential)

Before mounting switch and retainer, cable your ESCs, and servo motors (according to the scheme sent previously) - switch BADDY on, and while you hear "beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeep", your servo motors shall reach their nominal's position. Once done, you may attach switch and retainers to their respecting servos.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Nihilo

Post by Nihilo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:44 am

- Assembling fire room with the frame. Watch out, there is a wire (from ESC I guess?) between part A of your room and the frame :) remove the wire, and part A will naturally get closer to the frame.
In the end I used the thinner piece of neck that I wasn't able to fit to fill the space (part B in my picture).
Black o-ring to attache fireroom's nose with the motor board: yep, you don't need this anymore, so just take the screw, pass it through the nose and the motor board, and take a nilstop nut in the other side. Don't screw it too tightly to prevent damaging/breaking the nose.
That's ok.

I'm now calibrating the retainer and switch position. It turned on correctly with the beeps sound. So far so good.
I will post in another thread.

Thank you
Cheers

baddyteam
Site Admin

Post by baddyteam » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:52 am

Sounds good. To confirm your switch and retainer have a good nominal's position, please take picture (vid even better) taken from the side of your BADDY.

Cheers,